Links - interesting links and resources.
Updated: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 by Rad
This section has links to websites and resources with interesting content and/or software. Most of the software here is freeware or Open Source and aimed at Windows operating system, but authors often feature installation for Linux and Mac.
Selection includes links to resources promoting Open Source software, mobile applications, anything related to web development, links to resources with excellent reading on networking, Linux servers and new technologies like Cloud.
We also promote here sites which helps users to pinpoint problems and advice on troubleshooting their computers or mobile devices. We hope this might be of interest to our visitors
Archived links - from our old site
Linux, Hardware and Cloud.
Selected Linux distributions, specialized distribution for data recovery and data forensics and minimalistic server distributions suitable for routers, firewalls, media servers and anything lightweight supporting busybox. List of sites dedicated to cloud servers benchmarking, reviews of hosting services, finding low end virtual machines.
- Distro Watch - Compares Linux distributions
- Server Bear - UnixBench performance tests for Linux Servers
- OpenShift - a cloud computing platform as a service product from Red Hat
- Caine - (Computer Aided INvestigative Environment) is an Italian GNU/Linux live distribution created as a Digital Forensics project
- BackBox Linux - an Ubuntu-based distribution developed to perform penetration tests and security assessments. It is designed to be fast and easy to use.
- Alpine Linux - amazingly lightweight & powerful Linux distro for embedded systems
- lowendbox - dedicated for running websites and services on low end virtual private servers. Linking and promoting providers of VPS hosting solutions for a few bucks monthly.
Windows - selected freeware.
This section has links to freeware we found very useful in our daily job.
Also we have here list of websites featuring ordered, categorized list of freeware
for various tasks. Open Source and freeware is really viable alternative to paid for, commercial solutions.
FTP, file transfer
- WinSCP excellent for SFTP, FTP file transfer with advanced bookmarks. Also synchronized browsing.
- FileZilla is free and cross-platform FTP Client and Server. Supports FTP, SFTP, and FTPS (FTP over SSL/TLS).
Calculators and maths
- Microsoft Mathematics 4.0 provides a graphing calculator that plots in 2D and 3D, step-by-step equation solving, and useful tools to help students with math and science studies.
- SpeedCrunch high-precision scientific calculator. It features a syntax-highlighted scrollable display and is designed to be fully used via keyboard.
Antivirus and Antispam
- Comodo Antivirus This has full real-time protection capability, including real-time antivirus, behavioral blocking features, cloud-based protection, and an automatic sandboxing function which protects users from nearly all malware.
- 360 Total Security excellent antivirus from China. 360TS has integrated 5 antivirus engines in one, but please note that Avira and Bitdefender engines are not enabled by default.At AV-Test it has secured the perfect 6/6 for Usability and Performance and 5.5/6 for Protection in the Total Scores.
Data recovery and un-delete files
- MiniTool Power Data Recovery Antivirus free up to 1GB of data recovered. It can recover deleted data from the Windows Recycle Bin, restore lost data, even if the partition is formatted or deleted, restore data from a corrupted hard drive, virus infection, unexpected system shutdown or software failure. It supports IDE, SATA, SCSI, USB hard disk, memory card, USB flash drive, CD/DVD, Blue-Ray Disk and iPod.
- Recuva Easy to use interface, good recovery times. However it only works great on straight forward recovery. After formatting the disk deep scan could only locate and recover 19 files out of 106.
Freeware and other tools to help you develop websites or just write computer programs. Code editors, various database GUIs, scripts and freeware software for easy work with files. Backup tools, cloud storage and version control software.
- Aptana - build web applications quickly and easily using the industry's leading web application IDE. Aptana Studio harnesses the flexibility of Eclipse and focuses it into a powerful web development engine.
- Sublime Text and still beta Sublime Text 3 Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. You'll love the slick user interface, extraordinary features and amazing performance.
- HeidiSQL is a useful and reliable tool designed for web developers using the popular MySQL server, Microsoft SQL databases and PostgreSQL.
- Bulk Rename Utility a free file renaming software for Windows. Bulk Rename Utility allows you to easily rename files and entire folders based upon extremely flexible criteria. It is extremely powerful tool and has a small memory footprint, but GUI might be harder to master. For those who do, this tool can bulk rename files with lightning speed according advanced criteria. It can can batch rename 1,000s of files in seconds and handle folders/discs containing well over 100,000 entries.